The history museum in Old Sacramento State Historic Park is housed in a replica of the City Hall and Waterworks Building, built in 1854 to answer the need for a better water supply system after Sacramento’s catastrophic 1852 fire. The two story brick and reinforced beam structure supported three water tanks on its roof, along with a network of pumping machinery and pipes. The interior housed offices for city council members, volunteer firefighters, and the city jail and police court. Eventually the weight of the tanks took their toll, and in the late 1860s the railroad installed tracks and a turntable adjacent to the structure. Constant vibration from the trains further affected the already weakened structure, creating serious concern for the safety of its occupants. The weakest forty feet at the west end was razed in 1880, and the water tanks reworked. Yet by the turn of the century the building obviously required extensive renovation, and the Southern Pacific Railroad wanted the property for a right-of-way to expand their freight handling facilities. The roof top tanks and connections were abandoned when the city sold the property to the railroad in 1906, on condition of continued use while a new jail was constructed elsewhere. Seven years later the Southern Pacific demolished the building. The re-creation of this historic structure opened to the public in 1985. Faithful in design to the original, the exterior accouterments include brick walks and a 113 foot flagpole topped with a gilt ball. Inside, visitors walk through modern, chrome and glass galleries filled with diverse exhibits.