The Missions: Number 15

Located between modern San Jose and Salinas, Mission San Juan Bautista, named for St. John the Baptist, was founded in June 1797 by Father Fermin de Lasuen as the 15th mission, which in time contained the largest California mission church.  Situated at the crossroads of El Camino Real and El Camino Viejo at Pacheco Continue reading The Missions: Number 15

The Missions: Number 14

Mission San Jose, the 14th of Spain’s missions in Alta California, was founded by Padre Fermin de Lasuen on June 11, 1797, on a site which was a natural highway between the Livermore and San Joaquin Valleys—today part of the city of Fremont.  Its original name La Mission del Gloriosisimo Patriarch San Jose honored St. Continue reading The Missions: Number 14

The Missions: Number 13

Father Fermin Lasuen founded Mission Soledad on October 9, 1791, naming it Nuestra Senora de Soledad, “Our Lady of Solitude.”  The site—in a hot, windswept, treeless valley—was chosen solely because it provided a stopping point between the 100-mile journey from Mission San Antonio in the south to Continue reading The Missions: Number 13

The Missions: Number 12

In 1769, Spanish explorer Captain Gaspar de Portola gave the name Santa Cruz (Holy Cross) to the area along Monterey Bay’s northern shore. Twenty-two years later, in 1791, Mission Santa Cruz was founded by Fathers Alonso Salazar and Baldomero Lopez. Two years after that, with the help of the local native Ohlone people, work Continue reading The Missions: Number 12

The Missions: Number 11

Founded by Father Presidente Fermin de Lasuen on December 8, 1787, who celebrated mass on the site known as the Plain of Rio Santa Rosa, Mission La Purisima Conception De Maria Santisima (Mission of the Immaculate Conception of Most Holy Mary) was number eleven in the chain of 21 California missions built by the Continue reading The Missions: Number 11