The Sepulvedas in LA

Two well-known, well-traveled arteries in Los Angeles, Sepulveda and La Cienega Boulevards, are named for Spanish-era California pioneers the Sepulveda family and their ranch. Sepulveda Blvd., a major thoroughfare and the longest street in the city and county of Los Angeles, extends some 43 miles generally north-south between present day Hermosa Beach and Rinaldi Street at the north end of the San Fernando Valley in Mission Hills. Winding in a somewhat serpentine fashion, it passes beneath two runways of Los Angeles International Airport, parallels Interstate 405 over the Sepulveda Pass, tunnels beneath Mulholland Drive, and intersects Ventura Blvd.’s commercial sections in Sherman Oaks along the way. La Cienega Blvd. is another major north-south surface street that runs between the famous Sunset Strip in West Hollywood to El Segundo in the south. Francisco Sepulveda settled in the fledgling City of Angels in 1815, serving on the town council and acting as alcalde (mayor) in 1825. Jose Sepulveda served as mayor in 1837, and was a town council member in 1833 and again in 1839. Jose received two land grants from Mexican Governor Juan Alvarado, naming one that was approximately in the area now known as West Los Angeles Cienega de las Ranas. La Cienega translates from Spanish to English as “the swamp.”

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *