It was planned as the third California mission, but for lack of needed military escorts, San Buenaventura was instead the 9th. On Easter morning March 31, 1782, Father Presidente Junipero Serra raised the Cross at the beach of the Santa Barbara Channel, celebrated a High Mass, and dedicated the site to St. Bonaventure. Continue reading The California Missions: #9
Eighth of the Franciscan missions in California, Santa Clara de Asis was founded by Father Tomas de la Peña on January 12, 1777. He named the new settlement for St. Clare of Assisi, the first Abbess of San Damiano and co-founder of the Order of Poor Ladies, also known as the Poor Clares order of nuns. It was the first mission named for a woman. A few days later, Father Marguia arrived with supplies and some religious articles donated by churches in Mexico. He and Father de la Peña began the work of building, and a year later the mission had a church 100 feet long, corrals for horses and cattle, a bridge across the river, and a priest’s residence. However, six months after the founding a large contingent of colonists from Mexico settled in the area, alarming the padres because their neophytes (Indians who had converted to the faith) were being greatly influenced by the new “outsiders.” The priest’s efforts to keep them separated resulted in the creation of Santa Clara (the mission) and nearby San Jose (the town). Mission Santa Clara was among the largest in the chain with 5,000 cattle, 12,000 sheep, and acres of fruit orchards, olive trees, and vineyards. It was a leader in the number of baptisms but also the leader in the number of deaths, caused by a measles epidemic among the Indians in 1777. In 1779 the Guadalupe River flooded. The padres moved to a safer location, setting up a temporary church. Two years later they chose another site, blessed by Father Serra who came to lay the cornerstone. It was finished in 1784. Disaster struck in 1818: an earthquake damaged the buildings, necessitating yet another temporary site. Mission Santa Clara moved to its final site in 1822. The mission was secularized in 1836, but remained a parish church into the 1840s. After the Gold Rush, the property was transferred to the Jesuits, who founded Santa Clara University. The only portion remaining of the original mission is a section of garden wall, but the university chapel built in 1929 was designed as a reproduction, and the bell tower holds the two original bells sent to the mission from Spain.
World famous San Juan Capistrano might have been number six in the chain of 21 California missions, but a week after Father Fermin and Lt. Ortega founded the site in October, 1775, the locale was abandoned when the priest and his military escort received news of the massacre of Father Jayme at San Diego. A Continue reading The California Missions: #7
Four years elapsed between the founding of mission number 5 and number 6, formally named San Francisco de Asís but better known as Mission Dolores. Dedicated October 9, 1776, the mission derived its name from the Presidio of San Francisco, built only a month earlier. Both are named in honor of St. Francis of Continue reading The California Missions: #6
Number five of the Franciscan missions in California, San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, was founded September 1, 1772, chiefly because supplies were dwindling in the already established four, and the location known as Ilano de los Osos (Bear Plain) contained an abundance of bears that could provide fresh meat for priests and Continue reading The California Missions: #5